Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

More on McCain's Rebuke – Walther speaks to me (Part 2)

To add to my previous post responding to Paul McCain's comment, I decided to pull out Walther's book The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel for some comfort and counsel, and came upon some of his theses that were appropriate to McCain's Rebuke.

When Rev. McCain says "Repent and return to Christ" and refers to my blog posts, he is saying that I'm apart from Christ, essentially a damned person and salvation is denied to me.

But Walther says:
Thesis V:
The first manner of confounding Law and Gospel is the one most easily recognized — and the grossest. ... the Gospel turned into a doctrine of meritorious works, while at the same time those who teach that the Gospel is the message of the free grace of God in Christ are condemned and anathematized, as is done by the papists.
Now it is hard for me to think of Rev. McCain as a "papist", but why does the shoe fit so well?


But Walther says:
Thesis XX: 
In the sixteenth place, the Word of God is not rightly divided when a person’s salvation is made to depend on his association with the visible orthodox Church and when salvation is denied to every person who errs in any article of faith.
What would make Rev. McCain happy is that I would re-join an "orthodox" LCMS congregation ("orthodox" per Matthew Harrison) and retract my blog post charges against his LCMS/CPH.  Now he may find some aspects of this that are not appropriate to Walther's point, but the point still sticks. Under Thesis XX, pgs 334 & 335) Walther says:
Being built upon Christ does not mean connecting oneself mechanically with the Church, but putting one's confidence in Christ and hoping to obtain righteousness and salvation from Him alone.... no one is a member of the Church who is without a living faith. (i.e. believes)
Let the reader judge between me and CPH Publisher Rev. Paul T. McCain.  Perhaps McCain should also read Walther instead of just publishing him.

C.F.W. Walther – The American Luther!

No!  I have a knife in Satan's throat with the Doctrine of Universal, Objective Justification (UOJ), a knife that is called the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God! (Eph 6:17)  I am fighting for all of Christianity here... let the world scoff at my claim!  It is God's Grace that I am defending, Grace that is full and free for all!  God is my Witness and my Judge on this. IT IS WRITTEN (Ephesians 2:8-9):
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
I used the following exchange with another pastor who defended "UOJ" but I had to impress on even him how important it really was.  I will publish that letter soon but here is how I ended:
God did NOT say like Ripley:  “Believe or NOT”!  NO!  He said:  Believe it!  I earnestly desire your salvation!  I sent my beloved Son to take your punishment!  I gave you the receipt by raising Him from the dead!  I am reconciled!  BE YE RECONCILED TO ME!  BELIEVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments only accepted when directly related to the post.