Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2018

The most hated man… ever?

From Luther's Works, Volume 54 (Table Talk), #491: "No. 491: How to Deal with Thoughts that Trouble You" p. 83 (excerpt) -- April 6, 1533:

I hold that there has been nobody in a thousand years whom the world hated so much as me. I hate the world, too, and I know of nothing in all of life that attracts me any longer. I am quite tired of living. May our Lord God come soon and quickly take me away! Especially may he come with his last day! I shall await him. I shall gladly stretch out my neck so he can strike me to the ground with a thunderclap. Amen.”
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: 
but he that endureth to the end 
shall be saved.
Matt. 10:22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments only accepted when directly related to the post.